Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Online Tool Review - Calorie Counters

There are a number of online calorie counters to help people keep track of their intake and make a connection to the importance of exercise while building community and online support. The entry levels of these three are free and offer a great introduction to weight management journaling. Click on any of the links to see the products offered and please let me know if they stop working. Check each of them out and see if any of them works for you in particular.

Years ago a friend introduced me to Daily Plate, since bought out by the LiveStrong foundation and offered through their site. It's incredibly easy to use and have some paid upgrades that I could see value in, although I didn't explore them.

A year or so ago the same friend introduce me to the Daily Burn, a different online calorie/exercise tracker that she felt was more comprehensive in it's coverage. I didn't see too big a difference, just a different community really, although I did like the break down of food better. I'd found the exercises and challenges on Daily Plate easier to follow though.

More recently, same friend introduced me to My Fitness Pal, an atrociously named site which does much the same thing as the first two. Now, it could be that I'm just more committed this time but I seem to be using it more and getting more out of it than the previous two. I'm enjoying the ability to build recipes based on things I actually eat, and the free app that links to my Blackberry is pretty sweet.

No comments: